After 16 years in the healthcare IT department at Sarasota Memorial Hospital, if Denis Baker hasn’t seen it all, he sure has seen most of it. But the pace of change in healthcare is forcing even Baker to read some teas leaves, especially around Accountable Care Organizations. Specifically Baker, and all CIOs in the industry, must first figure out what ACOs will look like, then envision the IT required to support them. After that, it’s time to formulate a strategic roadmap that will allow organizations to “skate to where the puck is going.” To learn more about his plans around ACOs, meeting Meaningful Use, and partnering with vendors to help achieve it all, healthsystemCIO.com editor Anthony Guerra recently chatted with the Florida-based executive.
- Novo/Medicity/Aetna for HIE
- “Where all of this ends up in five years, it’s hard to say at this point”
- Sarasota’s ambulatory EMR landscape — Sage country — “I’m fairly agnostic at this point”
- Dealing with M&A (Eclipsys, Novo)
- Voalte for point of care communications
- Provider/vendor co-development & pilots