The healthcare IT industry is unique, dynamic, and changing. The largest health IT networking event of the year will be held next week at the HIMSS Annual Conference and Exhibition in Las Vegas. HIMSS18 was even mentioned in a recent Forbes article.
So how can you distinguish yourself from the crowd of 45,000 attendees from over 40 countries? What are the best practices for job seekers to approach employers and recruiters? If you seek a CIO opportunity or another health IT leadership position, your success depends on preparation. Check out these career tips to guide you in this process.
When you are faced with unemployment or a need to leave your position, managing negative emotions can be overwhelming. If you find yourself in this position of transition, view it as an opportunity to expand your horizons and assess your skills and experiences. Be prepared to “master your job search” by following these steps:
- Stay active in your HIMSS, CHIME or other health IT memberships
- Update your resume and your LinkedIn profile to reflect your new status, consider “Independent Consultant” as a way to fill a gap before your next position
- Prepare an “Independent Consultant” business card with your contact information
- Attend events like HIMSS18 to network and connect with recruiters, consultants, and employers and over 1300 exhibitors
- Set up breakfast, lunch or coffee meetings with your key contacts and previous colleagues to let them know you are looking for a new position
- Be a people person, walk around, ask questions, and have an executive presence
- Visit the health IT recruiter booths in the exhibition hall, bring your resume, discuss your goals
- Register and attend the free March 7th HIMSS18 Career Fair at the Wynn Hotel
The HIMSS18 Career Fair will be held at the Wynn Hotel in room Lafite 4, on Wednesday, March 7 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. It will offer seasoned professionals or new health IT job seekers a vast array of resources and opportunities to expand their professional network. The Career Fair will also offer a free professional photo headshot in their Portrait Studio, free resume review and a networking breakfast.
Additionally, industry experts will be available to share their advice and tips for success in the health IT industry. I am honored to speak at the Career Fair at 10 a.m. on how to Shape Up Your Resume and Solve Your Interview Mistakes. So please stop by and say hello.
Good luck with your job search!