The end of the year is a great time to reflect on your strengths, key accomplishments, and even areas of improvement to help boost your career for 2016. Here are 10 valuable ways to jump-start your career for the coming year. Take time now, and you will be ahead for the coming year.
- Update your resume – Even if you are not seeking new employment, add any promotions, awards, degrees, publications, speeches, and key accomplishments to your resume. Proofread it again to make sure it’s fresh.
- Update your LinkedIn account – See #1.
- Browse through TED Talks – Take time to review some of the 2,100-plus lectures on this powerful Internet platform; find some that inspire you.
- Seek work/life balance – Develop a new hobby or activity for 2016, and make time for it in the coming year.
- Nominate or refer a colleague – Use your power to influence someone else’s career and refer them to a recruiter or hiring manager.
- Honor your references – Call and stay in touch with previous bosses, colleagues and staff. Meet them for lunch, use them wisely and never put them on your resume (only release as requested).
- Participate in leadership- building workshops – Sign up for them locally or through CHIME, HIMSS, or other leading business associations.
- Review your weaknesses and seek to change – Reflect on feedback from bosses and others who you trust to give you honest advice; work to improve those qualities in 2016.
- Coach, mentor others – Use your expertise and knowledge to grow and develop staff; treat them as advisors; bring them to meetings; empower and give them a chance to shine.
- Set career goals for the next year – Is it time for a change? Can you relocate? Can your current job be expanded? What other networking events should you attend? Remember, it is a Leap Year, so take the leap!
Wishing everyone a Happy Holiday season and continued good luck in your careers and life!