Though there are still only a handful of them, MD CIOs offer some unique advantages for an organization. First off, those like Memorial Health System CIO Jon Velez, MD — who still practice in the facilities they now lead — are able to see first-hand how new systems are actually used in the trenches. And at some health systems, having an MD CIO means there’s no need for finding a CMIO who can translate tech talk into physician speak. To learn more about his journey from computer science to medical school, then to CMIO and finally CIO, healthsystemCIO.com editor Anthony Guerra recently chatted with the Colorado Springs-based physician.
- Building the right skill mix among the CIO, CMIO, CTO suite
- Governance change — moving away from command and control
- Leveraging small wins to build trust among the clinicians
- “I still practice four shifts a month in the ED — physicians really like that”
- The best feedback loop ever: an MD CIO calling the help desk
- Future feedback loops
LISTEN NOW USING THE PLAYER BELOW OR CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THIS PODCAST AND SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FEED AT iTUNES
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (14.5MB)
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Android | Pandora | iHeartRadio | Stitcher | Podchaser | Podcast Index | Email | TuneIn | RSS
Share Your Thoughts
You must be logged in to post a comment.