Hal Baker doesn’t boast the typical CIO resume, one with a deep background in applications and infrastructure management. But what he does posses might be even more crucial for success in today’s HITECH word, with its focus on the implementation of advanced clinical systems. That’s because Baker is an M.D. — and one who has spent time as a CMIO to boot. Both his experience as a practicing physician and as the bridge between IT and the organization’s clinicians means Baker knows what it takes to bring independent docs to the CPOE table — a table at which they will have to sit if WellSpan is to earn its allotted Meaningful Use monies. To learn more about Baker’s leadership, healthsystemCIO.com editor Anthony Guerra recently caught up with the Pennsylvania-based executive.
- Cerner’s role in WellSpan’s CPOE rollout
- Biomed device/IS integration
- Leveraging vendor user groups
- Working toward best of suite
- Managing vendor relationships
- Embracing vendor-defined best practices — Only make diversions “with great care”