Managing 512 interfaces isn’t easy. That’s why Daniel Barchi, SVP and CIO with Carilion Health System, was more than happy to embark on the search for a single integrated EMR a few years ago. After an intensive selection process — which included copious input from clinicians — the health system selected Epic. And from that point until today, it’s been all about implementation, rollout and optimization. Barchi is definitely a proponent of the Big Bang philosophy and, in this interview with healthsystemCIO.com editor Anthony Guerra, explains why, and how.
- Meeting Meaningful Use, Stage 1
- Upgrading just to meet Certification
- Is MU creating a divide between haves and have nots?
- “I think the last few ‘carrot years’ are going to be trying times”
- The penalties are written into statue
- Health information exchange
- Balancing resources spent on implementation vs post-implementation adoption
- Don’t try to inject old processes into new systems
- Career management, personal development and industry organizations