Managing 512 interfaces isn’t easy. That’s why Daniel Barchi, SVP and CIO with Carilion Health System, was more than happy to embark on the search for a single integrated EMR a few years ago. After an intensive selection process — which included copious input from clinicians — the health system selected Epic. And from that point until today, it’s been all about implementation, rollout and optimization. Barchi is definitely a proponent of the Big Bang philosophy and, in this interview with healthsystemCIO.com editor Anthony Guerra, explains why, and how.
- Becoming an integrated clinic with Epic
- Going from 11 EMRs to 1, 512 interfaces
- Getting down to 4 vendors in selection
- Epic vs Cerner … Epic wins
- The art of site visits
- Good governance and project management
- “We kept our IT team almost at bay”
- All final decisions were made by clinical leadership (to a point)
- Large systems ditching best of breed?
- Strategy for owned-practices vs community docs